Silent Warlords

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Silent Warlords
Silent Warlords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Silent Warlords on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Silent Warlords on your social bookmarking website

Free Anti Virus Software

2 posters

Go down

Free Anti Virus Software Empty Free Anti Virus Software

Post by tigerstripe88 Sat May 16, 2009 1:56 am

Hey Nibbles couldnt seem to catch you on chatango lol

Ive been sent a virus and I need a realiable anti virus that i can get hold of that does the job, preferably a simple to use and a non intrusive one, ie doesnt pop up every 5 mins telling me I cant do that lol

Thanks in advance. Smile
tigerstripe88
tigerstripe88
News Reporter and Xbox Goddess

Female Number of posts : 1376
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Free Anti Virus Software Empty Re: Free Anti Virus Software

Post by NibblesDaCat Sat May 16, 2009 8:12 pm

Use the one that I have...

AVAST HOME 4

Works on XP/Vista (32 bit / X86 & 64 bit / AMD64)

Now on the off chance this doesnt get it out of there for you, Post back to me and I will help you further. I heard about what type it is and some of these are particularly nasty. I had one a while back and it took a format to get rid of it.

So you know, if the AV doesn't remove it completely, you are going to have to go more in depth to the point of doing major damage to your operating system. So your music, videos, documents you need to scan first, then make sure burn them immediately after. This is the only way that you are going to maintain them as a clean backup.

Now if the AV doesn't remove it or it comes back, then it is probably hooked into your restore point. his means that any and all restore points are considered BAD and Deleted. You will need to disable the restore points for each hard drive / partion you have. Now delete them if it didn't already, now deep scan, reboot, deep scan again, and then turn the restore points back on when you are clean.

For more than this, there are a few sites that are very good that help with this type of problem. If you have an OEM or legitimate copy of Windows installed, then these guys can do alot for you. If you are running one that is pirated or pirated software, they WILL see it, lecture you, and tell you to remove it; before they will do anything to help you.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/

Above is a link to the main forum of the one that I personally use, look in the Malware removal section.

If they catch you with pirated software twice they ban you out of the forums and block your IP from accessing the forum. They also will keep records of cases that do this so if you go back with the same system on a different IP and name, they can tell this.

The above site is FREE, and is maintained by people that actually work in that type of field. These guys are professional volunteers. They take some time to respond but know their stuff. If they give you a link it is usually safe. Also, never had problems downloading ANY of their programs that have there as far as viruses.

If you use these guys, do EXACTLY what they tell you. If you deviate from their steps and try to take shortcuts, then you will not receive further help.

NibblesDaCat
Samurai
Samurai

Male Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-04

http://www.fireandicecustom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerstripe88 Sun May 17, 2009 3:27 am

Hey thanks Nibbles, its still scanning lol its taking ages but I thought I best be thorough haha Seems a nice simple bit of software, thanks.
tigerstripe88
tigerstripe88

Female Number of posts : 1376
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by NibblesDaCat Sun May 17, 2009 12:55 pm

Yep it will take ages. It is slow. The trade off is it will do its job and do it well. Part of the reason it is so heavy is all the features it has built in. A little slow for free is a exchange I am willing to make when it does what this software does.

To be honest, I don't think you have realized how slow it can be. It takes about 2 hours to do a PREBOOT (scans drive before the Windows operating system loads, and activates protection before loading.) scan on my hard drive.

You don't want that as a common setting but when you have bugs you cant get rid of another way, this bypasses the security built into Vista that may not let you access the file to clean it.

Glad it helps. OH, BTW Tiger, hate to tell you this now, but if you have your internet connected, you need to scan again. After you update the virus definitions file, disconnect from the internet, then scan. Otherwise the malware can hide out on the net, let you scan clean, and then come back after.

NibblesDaCat
Samurai
Samurai

Male Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-04

http://www.fireandicecustom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down